Help Now! Fund – May, 9, 2016 Update
We are amazed and grateful for the heart-felt community response to the Help Now! Fund. It’s our privilege to provide this update on how these gifts are making a difference.
- More than $218,000 has been donated to the fund
Help Now! Fund Focus Areas:
- Special financial needs of the victims and their families.
- More than $117,000 disbursed to the victims and their families as of May 1st.
- Community counseling, healing and safety services that address the aftermath of violence.
- The team has begun working with agencies that have been, and that continue reaching out to the community to address long-term solutions to community violence.
- So far, to date over $8,000 has been granted for this purpose.
- Citizen safety planning and violence preparedness efforts.
- Recently, the mayors, city managers, and public safety chiefs of both cities met with our three organizations to begin planning strategies for long-term impact.
Our three organizations remain firmly committed to honoring the intent of each of your gifts, whether for a specific family, all of the families, or for immediate and long-term work to promote safety and reduce violence. We have a robust process in place that ensures integrity, transparency and equity to all who are healing from this tragedy.
We thank you for the trust you placed in us.
In response to the February 20, 2016 shootings in Kalamazoo County, and in an effort to address both immediate and long-term community needs related to community violence, a collaborative group of local nonprofits has established a fund.
Battle Creek Community Foundation, Kalamazoo Community Foundation, and United Way of the Battle Creek and Kalamazoo Region will be partnering with area organizations to direct funds to areas of need to help create safer communities now and into the future.
The fund, regional in scope – serving all the communities affected by the tragedy – may include:
• Special financial needs of the victims and their families.
• Community counseling, healing and safety services that address the aftermath of violence.
• Community vigils and anti-violence education events and activities.
• Citizen safety planning and violence preparedness efforts.
• Other activities directed toward reducing violence.
A regional advisory board has been formed in order to review community proposals.If your organization is interested in submitting a community proposal please consider the following:
Help Now! Short Term Community Capacity Requests:
Proposals will be accepted from nonprofit organizations and public entities providing services to communities and/or victims impacted by the events of February 20, 2016.
Short Term Community Capacity Priorities
- Community counseling, healing and safety services that address the aftermath of violence
- Community gatherings and anti-violence education events and activities
Help Now! Long Term Community Solutions Requests:
Proposals will be accepted from community groups, nonprofit organizations, and public entities providing activities directed towards reducing community violence and/or increasing community planning and preparedness. We encourage collaborative proposals and intend to bring applicants and the community together to foster stronger, more lasting solutions.
Long Term Community Solutions Priorities
- Citizen safety planning and violence preparedness efforts
- Other activities directed toward reducing community violence
To apply please access the application below.
Resources for those in need of crisis counseling include:
Gryphon Place: call 381 HELP, dial 2-1-1 at Gryphon Place, or visit www.gryphon.org.
Summit Pointe: call 1-800-649-3777 for outpatient counseling following a traumatic event, including grief, anxiety, stress, and depression. For those with thoughts of suicide, call 1-800-632-5449 for 24-hour crisis services. Visit www.summitpointe.com.
For more information about these three nonprofits see:
Donations can be mailed to:
Battle Creek Community Foundation
32 W. Michigan, Ste. 1
Battle Creek, MI 49017
A $10 donation can also be made by texting "Support Now" to 20222.